10 Actionable SEO Tips That Will Improve Your Local Website Rankings
10 Actionable SEO Tips That Will Improve Your Website Rankings
Looking for the most actionable SEO tactics that will improve your website rankings? Our tips below will help.
While there are many SEO tips and tricks online, the physical application of such methods can be challenging. Actionable SEO tips can be tough to come across and, if not applied correctly, won’t guarantee top rankings. This is why it is more feasible to leverage SEO tactics that are workable, create traffic, and beat the competition. All you need is a pull here and a tug there, and you will be well on your way to enhancing the rankings on your website. Here are ten actionable SEO tips that will improve your website rankings.
1. Learn the right way to use keywords
SEO is essential for every business and when it comes to applying SEO techniques on your site, it is always important to understand the importance of keywords and how they work. Ensure that you accurately keyword-optimise each page using the below tips;
- Add a title tag – This reveals your page topic to search engines. SEO plugins like Yoast SEO for WordPress reduce the difficulty of optimising your SEO title to enhance both CTRs (click-through rates) and ranking.
- Add a meta description – This is vital to the click-through rates; it may not have an impact on your rankings, but function in aiding a potential visitor’s decision when it comes to clicking on your page.
- Use a short URL – This must have the target keyword and must be legible and brief.
- Split content into several headings – This has an impact on ranking; ensure that at least one of your headings contains a keyword.
- Include an ALT text and image title – This should contain keywords to show both visitors and search engines what the image is talking about.
- Write readable content – This affects SEO rankings, but try not to overdo it. When you use a keyword a few times in your content, it is likely to keep visitors on the page, as that is their search term.
2. Create long-form content that is dedicated
Sometimes, bigger can be synonymous with better. How a website gets to Google page one is quite often based on the word count of the page. SEO specialists are known to experiment with long-form content which also benefits them to gain real insights into what will probably rank better.
3. Change the structure of your URL
We have seen blog posts displaying their published date; most visitors expect this as it aids with obtaining updated information.
However, it is regrettable to note that with some content management systems, even when you update a three-year-old post, it will still appear as if it was published three years ago. No doubt, on some CMS platforms, it is possible to carry out a content relaunch by editing the date in a post, but when undertaken on too many posts, it is likely to appear like spam.
The only solution is to make a change to the date structure of your URL so that, instead of showing the published date, it will show the date it was last updated. Once you have this arrangement in place, Google is likely to pick it up faster, and thus, enhance your site’s organic search traffic.
Both web users and Google love the updated version of your content, so updating your posts on an annual basis will be a good idea. The only problem here is that the URL will change when users are already linked to the blog post as the time of the update. This will cause a break in the link. With this, two options will suffice:
- An SEO plugin like Yoast SEO or a redirect plugin can be used in redirecting the URL of the old post to the new one
- Conversely, you can make use of a link structure that doesn’t display a date.
4. Use modifiers and long-tail keywords in page titles
In your SEO efforts, page title modifiers make a world of difference, and you can still leverage them in enhancing traffic to your site. The most widely used modifiers include; Best, Review, Current Year, Cheap, Guide, and Buy. Additionally, making use of long-tail keywords is highly recommended. Modifying the phrase ‘Indian restaurant’ to ‘Indian restaurant Nottingham’ is a good example of what we mean by long-tail keyword.
You will agree with us that the second phrase will likely attract more targeted visitors than the first. When you use this in a title tag, your likelihood of being ranked for the long-tail search phrase will be enhanced.
5. Create wonderful infographics
Infographics make information more understandable, and visitors will readily process it. Besides, when you do it the right way, you are likely to receive significantly more social shares and backlinks for your effort, which is ultimately great for SEO.
However, you should have it at the back of your mind that Google is not able to read infographics, hence the need to include some text either after the infographic or before it. It also enhances your ranking chances.
How do you create infographics when you are not a designer? If you happen to be on a shoe-string budget, you can leverage on Design Pickle or Canva. However, if you want visitors to experience something rare and exciting, there are many digital marketing and graphic design agencies at your disposal - if you have the funds.
6. Vary your anchor text
When you have several inbound links with similar anchor texts, they are seen as spammy and have a negative effect on your rankings. To stay away from this, your anchor text needs to be varied. Since you cannot control the manner in which other bloggers link to you, it becomes essential to vary your anchor text. Below are a few anchor text variations;
- Exact match – This is an exact match to the keyword of the page you are linking to. For instance, you can link football jersey to a football jersey page.
- Partial match – Here, you will see a variation in the keywords, for instance, best football jersey.
- Branded – Here, you use the name of your brand, like Apple, Nokia, etc.
- Naked – A URL is what you use here, like Gmail.com.
- Generic – Generic phrases and words are used here like; blog post, study, click here, etc.
- Author – What is in use here is the name of the particular author that is responsible for creating the blog post.
- Page title – Here, the anchor text matches the post title or exact page.
- Image links – Here, the search engine views the alt text as the anchor text.
Your website’s rankings stand a chance of skyrocketing to the very top when you know how to mix your site’s inbound link keywords.
7. Reduce load time on your website by enhancing site performance
It is a known fact that the load speed that visitors experience on your website will affect the site’s rankings negatively. In addition, snail pace load speed will also mar your bounce rate, time on page, as well as conversions. Once a visitor notices that your website is relatively slow, the chances are that he or she will immediately exit. So, evaluate the load speed on your website, and if you discover that it is on the slow side, take immediate action to have it enhanced.
8. Write remarkable and actionable content
Before you think of writing for a search engine, your content should supply high-quality information. Actionable content will bring solutions to the problems of your target prospects – irrespective of what their needs are, to be entertained, or to learn. If you are dishing out tips, then make them relevant, useful, actionable as well as timely.
This will suffice in several ways in SEO since it is relatively easier to promote great content, as well as social shares and backlinks. It is still likely to remain relevant and be less prone to getting hurt by search engine algorithm updates.
The level of connection you may have does not matter; the truth is that it is never possible to achieve much with outdated, uninteresting, reiterated, and rehashed content. To be ranked #1 for your keywords, you should make an effort to create deserving content.
9. Reclaim any brand name mention that lacks a link
As time rolls by, your brand will likely grow and thus will attract multiple mentions online. However, many of the mentions are likely to come without a link to your website. The onus is now on you to reclaim all brand mentions, and you can accomplish this by simply reaching out to request a link.
10. Use emails to reach out to backlinks
This is how lasting relationships are formed. What it entails is the use of emails to contact people who will, in turn, aid in your SEO campaigns and online marketing efforts. This skill has the capacity to enhance your SEO efforts once you have a good understanding of it because emails come in handy in:
- Receiving opportunities for link building via other bloggers who will link to your content.
- Building lasting relationships with bloggers who can co-create content such as case studies and infographics with you.
- Requesting for your post to be shared on social media by influencers.